Masturbation is defined as the sexual stimulation of one’s own genitals for sexual arousal or other sexual pleasure, usually to the point of orgasm. It involves both male and female individuals.
Stats differ depending on which part of the world. One of the reasons for this is the amount of exposure to sexual content. The rate in developed countries is likely to be higher than the poor countries due to the unlimited access to the internet.
- Most people masturbate individually even though there are others who masturbate together as lovers or partners.
- With no doubt, more than 50% of the people worldwide have ever masturbated even though it’s commonest within men.
- Many people find it addictive.
- Victims find it shameful talking about it even though its normal.
Surprisingly, masturbation is associated with a lot of negativity around it. However, many studies and researches have indicated otherwise. Below are some of masturbation benefits.
- Its pleasure and fun having
- Reduces stress.
- It’s the safest sex with no risk of getting STDs.
- Assured of being pregnant free.
- Helps in releasing sexual tension.
- Leads to a better sleeping time especially if done just a few minutes to bed.
- Relieves menstrual cramps and muscle tension.
- Helps in strengthening the muscle tone in pelvic and areas.
- Helps in finding yourself more sexually like what are your intimate body parts, how long you can last during sex, etc.
- Less vaginal dryness and decreased pain during sex especially in grown up women.
Even though it’s associated with a lot of myths, below are some of the few visible effects of masturbation.
- Frequent or rough masturbation especially in males can result into minor skin irritation.
- Forceful bending of an erect penis can cause penile fracture.
- Time consuming which may affect your working schedule.
- May lead to loss of appetite for sex with your partner
- Swelling of the penis in men even though it usually disappears within days.
There are lots of myths that surround masturbation. However, none of them has ever been proved by scientists. These myths include;
- Causing blindness
- Low sperm count in men due to repeated masturbation
- Impotence on the side of men
- Infertility in women
- Mental illness
- Physical weakness as a result of fatigue.
Photo Credit: Living and Loving